Tortoises are in the reptiles species. The are part of the Testudinidae family of the order Testudines (turtles). They main distinguishing feature between turtles and tortoises is their land- dwelling nature. They have their pectoral and pelvic girdles inside the ribcage. According to ambient temperatures, tortoises tend to be crepuscular in nature.
- Their groups are referred to as creeps.
- They have an exoskeleton and an endoskeleton.
- The scales found on the carapace are referred to as scutes.
- They hold their breath underwater for a long time. However, they can not swim.
- Size determines their sexual maturity.